BEWARE THE SCAM-2

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

FIRST LINES

Picture an old-fashioned telephone. the kind that sits on a fancy table in a 1940s movie about wealthy people. It has a large square base, and an ornate receiver sits in a cradle on top. Now picture that image on the front of a tee shirt, but the receiver is shaped like a whale.  Below the telephone are the words, "Call me, Ishmael." Amazing what an unusually shaped receiver and a comma. can do.

I haven't seen a tee shirt I wanted to wear since the one that read, "Hand over the chocolate and nobody gets hurt." But I digress.

This post is about opening lines in fiction. Google will show you lists of the best 25 or even 100, from famous novels. Here are a few:

1. The aforementioned "Call me Ishmael" without the comma., from MOBY DICKman Menville.

2. "Last night I dreamed of Manderly again, from my favorite book, REBECCA BY dAPHNE DU mAURIER.

3. As a romlance writer, I also like, "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man, in possession of a good fortune, imust be in want of a wife." ride and prejudice by Jane Austen.

4. "It was the best f times, it was the worst opf time..."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak to me! I'm listening!